Saturday, February 12, 2011

X-Wind

Another tough, but really good lesson today. We had a crosswind out of the southwest using runway 18 today. Since this was our first good weather day in a while, there was a lot of traffic for KFES. I watched a couple of planes come crabbing in for their landings, some landing about halfway down the runway...and this is a short runway--2200 ft.! During the run up, other pilots radiod about the x-wind and the gust above the treeline on 18. We stayed in the pattern and did several landings. Of course, they weren't the prettiest landings, but I felt this was some really good practice. I actually enjoy crabbing into the wind and lining up with the runway and I plan to always keep my x-wind landing skills tuned up as best I can.
It was warm today, in the 50's, the first warm day in a month. The only down side of that was that the warm cabin mixed with the bumpy ride gave me a twinge of airsickness, which I sometimes get (but not recently) when I don't fly regularly...but it passed soon enough...but like I always say, if you are climbing your Everest, it won't be easy and there will be many obstacles to overcome. Speaking of overcoming obstacles, I am 5'6'' and had been really struggling with seeing over the cowling and simultaneously reaching the rudder pedals while still being far enough back from the firewall to be able to comfortably pull the yoke all the way back if needed. I had gone on the Pilots of America forum and found a lot of useful advice. Today, I gave up some height, so I could more easily control the rudder pedals. I also wore my new Skecher's Shape Ups that my wife, Sue, surprised me with for this very purpose. The Skechers bought me at least 1/2" in reach....and every little bit helps. I have also been getting some good distance mentoring and I will write more about that soon in a future entry. Finally, all I need is a calm day/morning and then...the solo?!? So yeah, everything is coming together and I feel like I am getting ready to conquer the air, climb further up my Everest and bury a lot of demons!

Todays photo: Inside terminal at KFES.

No comments:

Post a Comment