Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Foreflight App with the iPad

I recently purchased the Foreflight App for our iPad. It looks like it will work really well and it is really fun just to plan flights. It is especially a confidence builder for flying around and under Class B airspace. It has moving map showing you exactly where you are at all times. I have been wanting to do an Arch fly by for a while now, but until I had this, I wasn't comfortable trying it as a new pilot. As you can see on the pic from the iPad, I have planned out a circular route that includes an Arch fly by. It took me all of 3 minutes to put this together. There are lots of really cool features on this and I will be happy to answer any questions anyone has for me on this. Of course, I haven't tried it in the air yet...but, I plan to take my first flight with my new toy Friday after school.
For a completely economical option, especially for poor pilots or flying teachers (such as myself), I recommend a the etrex by Garmin. We bought ours (yes, this is "yellowjacket" for those of you who follow my blog) for $89 bucks on walmart.com. Right now they are $69! It is amazing what it will do and how simple it is. The only downside is plugging in coordinates....but it is highly accurate and gives you a ton of information...and it is a really easy, cheap insurance policy against being lost....just follow the arrow!! Plus the batteries (2 AA) last a really long time! I bought duracell rechargeables. Again feel free to put any questions or comments you might have below!

No comments:

Post a Comment